Can You Smell Them Now? Striking Union Agrees Not To Drop, Spread Or Throw Feces…

….Well, actually, it’s feces and other objects like “nails, glass, cinder block, spikes, feces, clubs, rocks, screws, or puncture devices of any kind, or other object or debris…”

On Friday, a judge in New Jersey granted Verizon some relief from its striking unions by granting an injunction against International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 827–one of the two unions that has pulled 45,000 union members out on strike.

While injunctions are often issued during strikes when there are instances of mass picketing and the blocking of entrances and exits, the New Jersey injunction is somewhat unusual in that it also specified the aforementioned feces.

According to the Toms River News, NJ Supreme Court Justice Marybeth Rogers ordered that there should be no vandalism, violence, harassment, obstruction, intimidating, threatening, blocking, or trespassing.

Rogers also set restriction on picketing, allowing no more than six picketers at the entrance to any Verizon owned property at any one time. Picketers were also advise that no more than two picketers may picket a private residence of a Verizon employee and must stay more than 10 feet away from any Verizon individuals performing work on a private residence or business. Rogers’ decision also specified picketers may not have animals present or block any ingress or egress to prohibit movement of a Verizon contractor vehicle.

Striking workers have also been barred from entering inside of any Verizon properties unless they are performing their duties as Verizon employees under the direction of Verizon. Rules were also set for recording, video taping or photographing any individual at any Verizon or performing company.

Ironically, section J is one that would normally go without saying, yet is clearly stated:

”Dropping, spreading, throwing, placing or otherwise causing nails, glass, cinder block, spikes, feces, clubs, rocks, screws, or puncture devices of any kind, or other object or debris to be thrown or strewn in, on, or about Verizon’s driveways, parking lots, entrances, exits, vehicles and adjoining roads to any of Verizon’s property or at any work site.”

The order took effect immediately after its filing on August 11th. IBEW 827 agreed to the proposal and posted a $50,000 bond for payment of incurred future damages.

The injunctions have apparently been necessary due to incidents like this, where a Verizon manager appears to be blocked from getting into a Verizon vehicle by a striker:

While Verizon also obtained injunctions in New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware, it is unknown whether dropping, spreading, throwing, or placing…feces made the list of things the unions could not do.

Frankly, we’re not sure how dropping, spreading, throwing, or placing feces onto the employer’s property helps advance the strikers’ cause–let alone the ‘middle class’ that the union claims to be fighting for.

Then again, that sort of behavior is more commonly perceived to be associated with the Teamsters, not your “friendly” telephone operator and lineman.

Can you smell them now?

For ongoing coverage of the unions’ strike against Verizon, go here.

________________

“I bring reason to your ears, and, in language as plain as ABC, hold up truth to your eyes.” Thomas Paine, December 23, 1776

Cross-posted.

Image Credit.

14 Comments

1. thatsitivehadenough says:

Why would it even be legal for anyone to picket outside of someone’s home anyway? I think that’s disgusting.

2. James says:

the union guys are such morons. I wonder what there children would say if they could see how they act. They are a bucch of overpaid lazy workers. I am a retired Verizon tech. Belive me, I never understood why my formana would tell me to never close out more than 4 jobs a a day. Then I realized that it was because thats what the contract says I need to do. All these techs only do exactely what their CONTRACT says. When in reality they could do twice as much work in a regular day. They work slow so they get overtime. The public should know that this middle class nonsense they are ranting about is nonsense. Unless making over $100,000 a year is now middle class. Stop your whyning you bunch of lazy overpaid fat bastards and go back to work. 14million people would be glad to take your job for 1/2 of what you get paid. Your all a bunch of losers. And I am embarraressed to say I used to be one of you.

• mark says:

You might want to learn how to spell before you post this blog and it makes me wonder what your numbers were …8? I don’t think so. I’m sure you enjoyed all the benefits the union got you and your family. Good luck mmmmmmoron or is it llllloser.

3. TC says:

I don’t understand how it is illegal to harass someone at their home either, and make no mistake: someone shows up at MY home, my neighbors will make it very unpleasant for them indeed.

Citizens who are FED UP with the union harassment need to go congregate at ALL those who are striking homes. Stand outside their homes and let everyone know: see what happens when THUGS whine about HAVING a job? I’m unemployed and can stand here ALL day. Tomorrow too.

4. Maureen says:

That video of the striker supposedly getting hit by the truck is so fake. Look at how concerned his fellow strikers are when the guy is on the ground, they all just stand there looking at him, while he does his fake flails with his legs. Those strikers need to take acting lessons.

5. Konnie says:

I have no sympathy for any of the strikers. They have been blessed and spoiled for many years now. If they have to, get a second job like some of us have had to do. Pay a part of your insurance like some of us have had to. You chose to strike and some chose to work. Respect those choices and take what you reap.

6. L.K.Weber, CDR USN Ret. says:

From article “That sort of behavior is more commonly perceived to be associated with the Teamsters, not your “friendly” telephone operator and lineman.” NOT SO. That type behavior has tradition in the CWA, what my father used to call the Communist Workers of America. Their strike in 1934 had just as many abuses and terrible behavior. I was 4 and my Dad took me to the Capp St. Office during the strike. We parked in front of the building and got out of the car. A huge, ugly woman with a fake fur jacket bent over, yelled “SCAB” in my ear. She then sp;it a lunger on my new jacket and I was mad. I stomped on toes of her left foot sheathed inn 6″ heels and left her jumping in pain and swearing at me.
    My Dad told his friends at PT&T that he had the youngest strikebreakers in the company!

7. james says:

i work for a company that made 24 billon dollars.my generous slice of that pie was a 20 dollar a week raise.that same company is on pace to double that amount.and there offer to me is no raise and to contibute more to my benefits and some people think i should take that and feel blessed? just because some of u bent over and took it up the a** dosent mean i have to and just for the record i have made over 100,000 some years but with a base salary of 60,000 i had to work 800 hrs of overtime thats time away from my family missing birthdays christmas ect not to mention the calls at 2am to come to work

8. james says:

to the other james i can tell by your post u were never one of us because our contract says nothing about productivity

9. james says:

to konnie we did not chose to strike the company locked us out and i have paid for my health care for 28 years by taking less money in my paycheck …..a well paid slave is still a slave

10. Glenn says:

James is one hundred percent correct! I Have been a member of IBEW 827 for over fifteen years and have watched this company systematically work to break the unions. If you had witnessed the management behavior I have you would swear you were dreaming. At my garage we are not even allowed to have a place to sit to do our paper work. I mean that management actually took all the chairs and tables in the building and threw them in the dumpster!