AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka died suddenly last Thursday.
Rather than focus on Richard Trumka’s long history as a union leader, in this episode of Union Free Radio, host Peter List discusses who might replace Trumka and the “crossroads” the union movement now finds itself.
Additionally, List covers the topic of mandatory vaccines policies (aka Get Jabbed or Get Fired)—which was one of Trumka’s last public statements on the labor federation’s position—and the ramifications of unions acquiescing to mandatory vaccine policies.
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY:
- LISTEN ON ANCHOR.FM
- LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS
- LISTEN ON GOOGLE PLAY
- LISTEN ON RADIO PUBLIC
- LISTEN ON BREAKER.AUDIO
For prior episodes of Union Free Radio, go here.
Links to articles and sources cited in this podcast:
- New York Times | Richard Trumka, A.F.L.-C.I.O. Chief, Dies at 72
- AFL-CIO | Trumka: Joe Biden’s Firewall Was Union Made
- Washington Post | President Biden nominates Rich Trumka Jr. to CPSC seat
- NPR | How The Labor Movement Did A 180 On Immigration
- BLET | Unions criticize AFL-CIO leadership
- LaborUnionReport.com | Communist Party USA Chair: “…we are part of building labor’s independent structures.”
- Jacobin | Socialists and Organized Labor Are Uniting to Change Pro-Boss Labor Laws
- Bloomberg | AFL-CIO Head Trumka’s Death Leaves Void Atop U.S. Labor Movement
- Watch Union Members March On The ‘Anti-Union’ AFL-CIO
- Bizarre Dispute Over Expense Account Sparks Power Struggle In the Top Ranks of the AFL-CIO
- Executive Council Members | AFL-CIO
- Politico | Where does the AFL-CIO go from here?
- C-SPAN | Richard Trumka Vaccine Mandates
- Bloomberg Law | Unions Split Over Vaccine Mandates as Variant Threatens Workers
- AFGE | AFGE Expects to Negotiate Over Changes to Working Conditions as a Result of Biden’s Vaccine Announcement
- Fox News | Teachers union president Weingarten calls for vaccine mandate for teachers
- ONA | Healthcare worker vaccines are critical, but must be negotiated
- Littler | Mandatory Employee Vaccines – Coming to A State Near You?
- InsideSources | Richard Trumka and the Labor Movement’s Nostalgia Trap