Unions and their allies are calling the Kellogg strike a “win.” But, is it?
The 11-week Kellogg strike is over. However, while the union movement is calling it a “win,” some strikers and some reporters are questioning whether the strike was, in fact, a “win” or a failure.
In this last episode of Union Free Radio for 2021, host Peter List walks listeners through the main-reported issues of the strike, as well as how much strikers potentially lost.
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY:
- LISTEN ON ANCHOR.FM
- LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS
- LISTEN ON GOOGLE PLAY
- LISTEN ON RADIO PUBLIC
- LISTEN ON BREAKER.AUDIO
Articles and resources cited in this episode:
I just spoke to Trevor Bidelman, president of BCTGM Local 3G (Grand Rapids). He's disappointed in the contract to end the Kelloggs strike. He says the vote was close (didn't have exact numbers). He thought Kellogg's threat to permanently replace strikers turned a lot of votes 🧵
— Dave Jamieson (@jamieson) December 21, 2021
- Kellogg strike ends as members ratify new contract | | wnem.com
- Kellogg’s Strike Ends: BCTGM Members Ratify New Contract
- Twinkies Maker Will Close After Strike – ABC News
- Have Twinkies Killed the Union Movement?
- Kellogg’s Threatened To Replace Strikers. That Doesn’t Mean It Will Work. | HuffPost Impact
- Details of Kellogg Final Offer [in PDF]
- Statement by President Joe Biden On Kellogg Collective Bargaining Negotiations | The White House
- Union Free Radio, Ep. 2: Sorry, Joe, Unions Did NOT Build The Middle Class
- Some Battle Creek Kellogg workers feel betrayed by new union deal
- Voting closes on concessions contract at Kellogg’s, while union uses divide-and-conquer tactics to break strike – World Socialist Web Site
- Labor Board v. Mackay Radio & Telegraph Co. :: 304 U.S. 333 (1938) | Justia US Supreme Court Center
- ‘Death of 1,000 cuts’: Kellogg’s workers on why they’re striking | Business | The Guardian
- Kellogg to permanently replace striking workers as union rejects new contract | Financial Post
- BCTGM Kellogg’s Members Reject Tentative Agreement; Strike Continues
- Employees reject tentative agreement; Kellogg focuses on continuing operations – Dec 7, 2021
- Big raises in store for U.S. workers in 2022, report says – The Washington Post
- ‘Financially, this is a really scary moment’: Kellogg employees enter fourth week on picket lines